Wednesday, July 16, 2008

" I found my old beer can collection from when I was a kid."


So many pull tab beer cans were collected during the "Beer Can Craze" of the late 1970's and early 1980's that there must be 1000's of these collections boxed up in attics and basements across the country. After all that's when I started collecting, in 1978. I picked up every can from the side of the road and searched the beer distributor faithfully buying up every new can that came out. Then I progressed to having friends and relatives bring home beer cans from their travels. It was a lot of fun, but one day life got too busy and my attention turned elsewhere. I packed up the cans and left them in my mother's attic. Luckily I kept collecting other breweriana, mostly beer labels, and never fully left the hobby. It didn't take long before I got back into beer cans and the rest is history.



Does the story sound familiar? It seems lots of collectors packed up their collections back in the 1980's and now they are being discovered once again. The problem usually is the cans are the same pull tabs that everyone was collecting.

Iron City Steelers, Olde Frothingslosh, Billy Beer, American Historical Breweries set, bicentennials, JR Ewing, Mash 4077th, Rock n Roll, World's Fair and Harley Davidson cans were among the most popular beer cans saved. Now there among the most abundant available and that makes them the least valuable. Don't get me wrong, without those "starter cans" most of us would never have gotten started in the hobby. They'll always have a special place in my heart and they are great for any beginner or to decorate you bar in the basement.



The e-mails I receive from people concerning these cans are usually the same, "where and how is the best place to sell my beer cans?". My answer is: "They should be sold locally and as an entire collection." Since the cans usually number in the 100's and take up multiple boxes, shipping them is not very economical. Most 1970's and 1980's pull tab beer cans have a value of less than a $1. Shipping them can cost as much as $0.25 each, plus it's a lot of work and you take the risk of them being damaged or lost. Try putting them for sale in your local newspaper or even at a garage sale or flea market. If you're set on using the internet try posting an ad on Craig's List and forget about eBay. The numerous similar cans that are always being listed and eBay fees make eBay a poor choice. Find someone local, have them come a pick them up and pass the cans onto someone who will really enjoy them. You might see that gleam in their eye that you had when you started collecting. Just make sure you look through your cans really good and don't give away any treasures. After all most of us came across a few rare cans and they will be worth more than all of the common cans put together. Those are the cans you'll want to sell on ebay or contact some one like me who will pay you what they are worth so you can take your spouse on a vacation.


e-mail me for more beer can information


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You described the collection my father in law left exactly. I'll try to get rid of it locally (after double-checking for "gems")